We all want to help older adults live well and as independently as possible, because this is what they want for themselves.
Because I have seen in my own family what happens when older adults lose independence, I focus on how to improve their quality of life.
Here’s the Power-Up Tool Kit I created to boost the health and spirits of the older adults in your life. There’s fun, tasty food, and lower-body exercises that can increase leg strength for climbing stairs. Everyone needs a lift as we wait for spring.
- Tool #1: Mediterranean Chicken Salad: A great tasting twist on tradition. (see below)
- Tool #2: Super Six for Stairs [Ebook download]: Improve your lower body strength with these exercises and increase your ability to climb stairs safely (download ebook here)
- Tool #3: Video Games To Play With The Younger Generation: Playing together is a great way to strengthen your relationships and give your brain a tune-up. My college-aged nephew and daughter recommend these games:
- for men: Call of Duty
- for women: Nancy Drew Mysteries (Danger on Deception Island is top-rated).
- for men and women: Madden Football, The Show MLB (Baseball), NBA 2K (Basketball)
Thank goodness there are enjoyable ways to live better.
Chicken Salad with Olive Vinaigrette
Serves 4 (about 1 ½ cups each)
1 cup uncooked Israeli couscous*
1/4 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon chopped capers
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cut in bite-sized chunks
- Cook couscous according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Combine olives and next 7 ingredients (olives through garlic) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add couscous to olive mixture; toss gently to coat. Stir in chicken just before serving.
*(larger than traditional couscous)
Many thanks to Cooking Light: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-salad-with-olive-vinaigrette/print
Serve with a dessert of fresh oranges or clementines. They’re in-season and packed with antioxidants and vitamin c.
If you liked the Tool Kit, share it!