Quotes from centenarians will give you great food for thought. Afterall, they have 40 years of life on you, which makes them the experts on life and retirement right.
Find pencil and paper or electronic notepad before you read on. You have a job to do as you read these quotes.
Find a purpose
- “For a long, healthy life, you need a plan and a purpose. It could be family, writing a book, becoming a president. Without a purpose, plan or objective, what do you need?”
- “I don’t care what you’re passionate about: maybe saving Dixie cup covers. But if you do it passionately, you’re alive.”
- “Keep busy doing what you like.”
Did you do what I suggested earlier? Did you get a writing device? If not, get one.
Right down what gives you purpose. What are your goals in the next 1, 5, 10, and 20 years? Write at least one goal for each.
Be active, social and eat well
- “Stay active…even at 100. Eat in a balanced way…Don’t stay mad at anything—you have to get used to the losses, otherwise you can’t win. Lastly, stay close with your family, they keep you thinking.”
- “Have a good appetite, lots of friends, and keep busy.”
- “You must keep active or you will just wither away. Always be involved in some activity.”
Write down a way that you would like to be more active, better socially or eat better. Pick at least one of these to work on.
Laugh a lot…this requires humor
- [Humor is] a life force, a way of surviving the difficulties of living.”
- “When you laugh at yourself, you prevent others from laughing at you.”
- “Laughter keeps you healthy, You can survive by seeing the humor in everything. Thumb your nose at sadness; turn the tables on tragedy. You can’t laugh and be angry, you can’t laugh and feel sad, you can’t laugh and feel envious.”
I know some of you aren’t participating in the writing exercise. Now, it’s just funny. Obedient readers and writers (or just readers) think of a way to find laughter today and every day. Can’t think of anything? Try coming up with as many fake laughs as possible…this WILL make you laugh.
Just do something
- “Do what you have to do. Don’t analyze it, just do it.”
- “Just go ahead and do your thing no matter what.”
- “Just keep going.”
Put your list of goals and ideas in action. Ready, set, go….do it! Live long and prosper.
Sources from: Mentalfloss.com & huffingtonpost.com
Home Care Assistance is North America’s premier provider of in-home care for seniors. Our mission is to change the way the world ages. We provide older adults with quality care that enables them to live happier, healthier lives at home. Our services are distinguished by the caliber of our caregivers, the responsiveness of our staff and our expertise in Live-In care. We embrace a positive, balanced approach to aging centered on the evolving needs of older adults. For more information visit our website at this link: Hourly Home Care Explained. Or, if you’d like to speak with a Care Manager right away, call us at 402-763-9140.
Photo Credit: Wisdom by Deepak Bahtia, https://www.flickr.com/photos/zeepack/7988763454/in/photolist-daWv3W-4Z45hr-u8HFM-5YiALt-mGgLW-8WoEgP-bjjf6-5JNeD1-i5Zkoi-6WG4hB-8WoEgT-n63R4c-ip2T2i-pr2Zyj-dQoggg-bpTPaw-dY3iiF-aB1gGt-6j59Fq-kEW3Ls-62aqjY-7RpKyP-ab5SNm-fAs92u-6w9xyw-6H5Gbg-a3VQgL-7owVC8-fUEw2D-e4ptda-72XD41-5jH2wg-8L6VN8-8eShn7-e1fyLJ-bKP47n-6bEawG-8mC6PM-fnhuAJ-7z4XfA-7FGCDx-8igXL1-798oe5-dsNb1e-68tKAE-a8BtDj-fxKAy7-7YBByD-6Q8nar-6B5sAe