Finding fun activities for seniors that are mentally, physically, and socially stimulating isn’t always easy. Luckily, if you are a caregiver in Omaha there is no shortage of activities for your senior loved one to participate in. Here is the third and final installment of Activities and Events for Seniors in Omaha, bought to you by the senior care experts at Omaha Home Care Assistance.
Mockingbird Hills Community Center
Telephone – (402) 444-6103
- Adult Therapeutic Water Exercise Classes – Tuesday, 6:30pm-7:30pm. All skill levels are welcome. Seniors with mobility challenges have water exercises tailored to their ability and comfort level. Cost is $15 for 5 classes, and $30 for 10 classes. The cost also includes admission for a caregiver.
- Shallow Water Aqua Fit Classes – Monday – Friday mornings, and Monday and Wednesday evenings. Each class is 1 hour and is comprised of low-impact exercises done in shallow water. Cost for seniors is $42 for 16 classes, and $47 for 24 classes. Daily drop-ins are welcome at $5 per class.
- Deep Water Aqua Fit Classes – Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings, and Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Each 1-hour class provides low-impact exercise performed in deep water. Participants are given flotation belts and foam hand weights. Cost for seniors is $42 for 16 classes, and $47 for 24 classes. Daily drop-ins pay $5 per class.
- Get Fit at Mockingbird – Monday-Friday, 8am-10am – Omaha seniors can walk laps in the gym.
Adams Park Senior Center
Telephone – (402) 444-3237
This Senior Center welcomes people ages 55+ to its free activities:
- Get Fit at Adams Park – Monday-Friday, 7:30am-10:30am. Seniors are invited to use the gym and weight room.
- Lunch – Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 12:00pm. A hot meal is served for a suggested donation of $3. Reservations are needed by noon the day prior.
- Other regular activities include arts and crafts, bingo, cards, games, dominoes, billiards, and field trips.
Millard-Montclair Senior Center
Telephone – (402) 546-1270
This Senior Center, run by the Eastern Nebraska Office on Aging (ENOA) and City of Omaha, has a full schedule of regular weekly activities for seniors including:
- Bingo – Tuesday and Friday at Noon
- Cards – Weekdays at 9am
- Chair Volleyball – Tuesday and Thursday at 10am
- Crafts or Sewing – Wednesday at 9am
- Health Seminars – As scheduled
- Lunch – Weekdays at 11:30am*
- Needlework – Thursday at 9am
- Quilting – Thursday at 9am
- Tai Chi – Monday and Friday at 10am
- Safe Walk – Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 8am
* Lunch is served at 11:30am. Hot Meal and deli options are offered for a suggested contribution of $3.50. Reservations are needed by 12 Noon the day before.
With such a comprehensive list, your senior loved one is certain to find at least one activity he or she enjoys and can participate in. Sometimes, seniors are hesitant to try new things by themselves. If this is the case, take some time out of your day to accompany your senior loved one or secure help from an hourly Omaha caregiver who can provide transportation as well as companionship at the activities. Home Care Assistance caregivers are highly trained, thoroughly vetted before employment, and available 24 hours a day. Learn more about the services available in your area by calling (402) 763 – 9140 to speak with a friendly senior care expert today.